Hair

Happy St. Baldrick's Day!

6:06 PM

              

Happy St. Baldrick's Day! For many reading this you may have no idea what St. Baldrick's is,and up until a few weeks ago I was on the same boat! I was scrolling through instagram and an ad popped up in my feed, it stood out to me because it wasn't another annoying clothing ad. It was a message of something important and so I tapped it and scrolled through a page full of amazing children that are victims of cancer as well as awesome people who decided to #bravetheshave to help support kids with cancer. 

The support of shaving heads is crucial to this foundation. They not only do this to raise awareness to the organization but do this to show that they proudly stand behind the kids with cancer who often lose their hair during treatment. The end goal is to raise funds for lifesaving childhood cancer research by having "shavees" sign up (http://www.stbaldricks.org/head-shaving)and collect money from friends and family and go to a volunteer organized event in their community to take a seat in the styling chair! 


 "I have always been a firm believer in we as humans should be                             willing to help people the way we have 
wanted to be helped."

Though thousands have donated hair I reached out to a few to interview and ask of their experiences with shaving their heads, specifically the women and girls who have made a donation. Every single man, woman, and (in general)human being is absolutely amazing for playing such a big roll to help others. The reason for the women striking such an interest is because of the attachment; The attachment of hair to a female is incredible. The simple cutting of 2 inches is sometimes teeth pulling! To completely shave your head is to, both women and sometimes men, a huge leap in life.

Hayley Links, on the other hand, was never emotionally attached to her hair, she  had more of a case of not being ready until now. "I heard about it back in middle school and thought it was a great cause but wasn't emotionally ready to shave my head at the time. This was my first time ever being bald and it has been a wonderful experience. I have always been a firm believer in we as humans should be willing to help people the way we have wanted to be helped.[...] I was really excited to give back. As soon as it is back down to donation length I will definitely do it again. I recommend it to everyone. It's definitely something you should do at least once."

You Might Also Like

0 comments